Friday, May 23, 2008

Helpful Classroom Speak

So far my learning of the Korean language has centered around teaching and getting about town. Here are a few words/phrases that I've picked up for use in my classroom and a few words my kids have taught me:

this: ee go 이것
that: cho goat 지시사*
it: kuh goat
do you understand?: ee hey dwen knee? 알겠니
do you know?: aru-gain knee? 알고 있습니까
I understand: arugetta 알겠어요
its not here/ i don't have it:  obp sigh yo 없다
its here/ i have it: eee sigh yo
You're crazy:
I don't know (the students say this all the time!): More lie yo
alright: cray-yo


My Kids have taught me:

Glasses, as in eye glasses: An Gyong 안경
Toliet/Restroom: Hwa Jahng Shil 화장실
Backpack: Ka Pang 가방
Pencil Case: Pil Tawng 필 통

This website is a cute intro to hearing words with basic characters - just click on the picture to hear the word: Hangul


*side note: many korea words are not written in characters exactly how they are pronounced - while you can read a word's sounds and be understood, most people commonly use versions of words that are "easier" to pronounce than the actual word... this makes finding the correct script for each word here a tedious task.... so, you won't always see the hangul for each word, only my way to pronounce it!

No comments: