Monday, May 19, 2008

Megookin - Ko


Annyonghaseyo!  Are you at peace?

This is the basic greeting here in Korea "are you at peace?"  And while I have also learned and heard several other greetings - as we in America have "hello" and "what's up" and more - I still hear this one the most.  The response is generally "Ne.  Annyonghaseyo" which means "yes, are you at peace?"  

I've decided to set forth a blog about the words i'm learning including the actual words (at least how I decide to write the pronunciation), occasionally i'll include how i learned them or any tidbits that are associated with them and if there is any funny notes that go along or interesting cultural anecdotes, i'll toss them in too.   Mostly, this is for me to record my learnings and further reinforce them - but if you folks are interested, by all means, enjoy!

oh yeah!  "megook" means America... "megookin" means American (america-person) and Ko stands for Korea... so, i titled this blog "American - Korea" which means American in Korea to me.. but shorter for convenience.  yep.  ok, bye.

No comments: